Plein Air @ Santa Cruz CA 加州風景寫生

 

Excited to experience the first rain in our location, it started at least one month earlier than usual. Even raining when I drove through the mountains all the way to Santa Cruz. Local people still brought their dogs for walks in the rain. During the time I was trying to figure out where to paint rain stopped. The lighthouse again of course, because I didn't like the one painted last September. Struggling with the rocks for a long time, sun came out, the harbor looked so beautiful instantly, I had to paint another one for sure, though I felt tired.

Sat down on a bench, set up my Best Brella umbrella, enjoyed the ocean breeze while working on my second painting... Suddenly, there was a strong wind that blew my umbrella out of the connecting tube, it was blown across a steep ledge and into the ocean. Almost at the same moment I put down my brush, jumped off the bench and ran down the ledge of the water. But the umbrella was sinking fast, my arm wasn't long enough to reach it. I put one of my leg into the water, still couldn't reach. Luckily, the handle part was extended, while the umbrella was sinking, the handle was driving to different directions. After a couple of tries, I rescued my expensive special designed Plein Air umbrella, didn't mind that one of my shoes and one side of pants were wet. There were many people stopped and asked if I was OK. Felt quite embarrassed, they heard my screaming I believed, and worried about me... So the rest of my painting I finished it in the sun. For such a little bit shade could cost so much, not for me, only for my painting area. I really didn't want to loose that not well designed the umbrella. Should I use it again?

Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Elim Assembly of God Church Santa Clara CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Home on a Rainy Day CA