Plein Air @ Orchard Heritage Park Sunnyvale CA 加州風景寫生


Good news to share for the coming up holidays, my figurative oil painting "Diary of Venus" won the 1st place in oil, juried by Pancho Jimenez at Great Bay Area Open (GBAO) "Potentiality/Actuality" biennial exhibition in the NUMU museum Los Gatos. There are many great works created by Bay Area based artists and the exhibition is open to the public at NUMU museum in Los Gatos until March 9 2024.

I took a break from painting outdoors after Capitola Plein Air event. Of course I still paint at my home studio.

Gorgeous day here in winter, it looked like fall. Though it was only 59 degrees, I felt warm in the sun. All foliage showing autumn leaf colors like yellow, orange, red, purple, and brown, which contrasted the blue sky and other plants of green were everywhere.

It was great to go out and paint a day before the rainy season starts. Drove to Sunnyvale and the Heritage Park Orchard jumped into my mind. I think it is always inspiring when I drive on streets named after famous master artists like Michelangelo Dr., Rembrandt Dr., Chopin Dr. Manet Dr., Matisse Ct., Picasso Dr., etc....

The parking lot was almost full when I arrived, looked totally different during the pandemic times when the parking lot was almost empty.


First I checked the store at Heritage Orchard, it had holiday decorations outside and inside as well.  All the dried apricots looked delicious after being well taken care of and packed.  Inflation is high as we all know in the world, especially in the Bay area.  But the prices of the dried apricots were quite outrageous.  For example 4 ponds of moist apricots cost $50,  Sorry that was too much for me... I still asked if it would be on sale someday, and if I could use the restroom?  The answers were all "NO!"


Never mind.  I still could use the restroom across the parking lot in the Senior Center. 

Found a lovely spot to start my drawing, then painted loosely.  Enjoyed the peacefulness, and imagined that it would be harvest years coming.  Hopefully I could taste the apricots....  (December 13 2023)

Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Chris' Farm in Campbell CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Home on a Rainy Day CA