Chinese Moon Festival II - A Classical Poem and Homesick 中秋节思乡

Dream in the Night

— Interpreted by Xu YuanChong

Abed, I see a silvery light,

I wonder if it's frost aground.

Looking up, I find the moon bright;

Bowing, in homesickness I'm drowned.
静夜思

— 李白

床前明月光,

疑是地上霜。

举头望明月,

低头思故乡。

(Please click the image to enlarge)

This poem written by Li Bai (701 – 762) who was a major Chinese poet of the Tang dynasty poetry period - China's "golden age" of classical Chinese poetry ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Bai ). It was one of the first classical poems I was taught before my primary school. Of course, I would not know the meaning at that young age. The older I get and the farther I live from home, the deeper I feel this poem, which is more often appearing in my head. Hiding my tears used to be part my character. But now, I can no longer control it behind my eyes whenever I think of it...

Another Mid-Autumn Festival is coming again, which is a popular lunar harvest festival celebrated by Chinese and some other Asian countries (中秋節, 中秋节, also called the Mooncake or Moon Festival. It is held on the 15th day of the eighth month in the Chinese calendar, on September 30, 2012. The Moon Festival is full of legendary stories, one I posted at last the Moon Festival was at: http://originalartstories.blogspot.com/2011/09/chinese-moon-fesitival.html.




My favorite part of the festival was the family got reunited again, enjoyed the dinner and watched the full moon at night while eating moon cakes as desert, served with many kinds of different fruits, because it is the harvest time, mentioned the traditional stories...

Almost everything has changed, besides the beautiful and rich culture our ancestors left for us, some ruined by nature or man made disasters. Though the full moon we see is the same wherever we are. But the picture of my home, my sweet and complex home is getting more vivid each day and night, the road I am on now which I finally realize it has become un-returnable...

Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Six hours study with the same sitter

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Chris' Farm in Campbell CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Elim Assembly of God Church Santa Clara CA 加州風景寫生