Plein Air @ the Port of Redwood City California


Hard to believe that a half year has gone by. Where did all the time go?
Checked the weather this morning, it was not too windy during my outdoor painting time. Went to the location and found out that I didn't bring my tripod. Drove around, and there were so many new painting ideas. Instead of being mad at myself, I guessed that I had to accept my aging process, or blamed all the pollen that has been beating me down for months... This pile of red dirt caught my eye, it reminded me of the Grand Canyon, which I haven't been to yet. There was only a very limited area to park my car and I had to set up my station on the trunk.  Not an ideal spot as I had to keep leaning over to peer through a spot in the wired fence that wasn't blocked by bushes or and other materials. Well, I thought it was a good practice anyway. The light shone on my paper with all the branches shadows which was really confusing for my eye and brain. Started with my little sketch, ended up an unusual subject I had have never done before. Actually, there was nothing left surrounding the red dirt when I drew on my watercolor paper. But it was quite exciting when the tractor and trucks returned working together and hauling and removing the dirt away. If the driver of that tractor saw me, he probably would think that I was creepy, standing with all the bushes and looking though the fence... hahaha, never mind whatever other people think.  Please to remember bringing my tripod and Plein air umbrella with me, thanks brain!
(July 1 2021)




Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Chris' Farm in Campbell CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Home on a Rainy Day CA