Plein Air @ Palace of Fine Arts San Francisco CA 加州風景寫生

There was little traffic inside the city of San Francisco this morning. My GPS signal got lost, I had to turn around before the Golden Gate Bridge.

Gorgeous day being out and painting my one of the landmarks for the first time - Palace of Fine Arts San Francisco. Walked around this stunning architecture, saw mostly local people walking and chatting or taking care of babies; different kinds of birds flying over the lagoon, which reflected this magnificent building and surrounding landscape contrasted by the blue sky.

A guy was playing guitar and sang songs to the kids behind where I was painting. A couple had their sweet memory wedding photo shoot at the waterfront. Who doesn't want a decent photo here! I knew that I should not paint it too complex when doing outdoor paintings. But I couldn't help myself and tried to squeeze in as much as I could into an 11"x14" painting. Beside the falling autumn leaves, a caterpillar jumped on top of my palette. I tried to move it gently to the nearby leaf, seemed that it held onto the edge of my palette strongly, and didn't want to leave. One or two hours later, another one fell into my palette again, looked like the same type, same size and same color. Was it the same one I wondered.... Everything was so beautiful besides today's work of mine. Well, I will be back for sure, though it was over hundred miles drive.









Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Downtown Campbell Light Rail Station CA

Capitola Plein Air 8th Annual Art Festival 2023