Plein Air @ Sikh Gurdwara San Jose CA 加州風景寫生


It was a beautiful and warm day, first time I drove to this amazing Sikh Gurdwara in San Jose up in the middle of the hills after passing downtown San Jose. 

From Google Search: The Sikh Gurdwara of San Jose is a gurdwara located in the Evergreen district of San Jose, California. It was founded in 1984 by leaders of the then-rapidly growing community of Sikhs in the area. It is the largest Gurdwara in the world outside of India.


I could spot the domes through the trees on my way up the hill, the Gurdwara is nestled in the hills and I  really wanted to stop along the roadside to paint it from a distance, but I kept driving up to the location.

When I arrived, I saw three generations of families in traditional dress, woman wearing beautiful saris and men wearing turbans together with their children.  While I was there, I walked around and got to say "hi" to some new and old artist friends.  I found a nice spot to the side and started working.  Took a long time to finish because the Gurdwara is very large and had lots of details. 
While I was painting, an assistant priest came by and chatted.  He was super-friendly and invited us go to have tea and lunch in the kitchen, so some of us joined him.  

In the end I didn't paint in all the details I drew.  Tried to keep the brushwork more loose and flowing, and the food was waiting for me.  

After  lunch, some of the remaining artists shared their paintings and we gave each other feedback.  By the time I started home it was almost 3:00pm.  Fun and warm day out. (February 9 2023)


Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Downtown Campbell Light Rail Station CA

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Capitola Plein Air 8th Annual Art Festival 2023

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Plein Air @ Old Mission Adobe Wall Santa Clara de Asís CA