Plein Air @ an old Orchard in Campbell CA 加州風景寫生


After weeks of rain, our weather is getting warmer and clear, spring is on the way.  Very happy to start my first Plein Air of the Year.

I didn't set up my spot, just thought to follow whatever caught my eye. Didn't drive too far, and I couldn't help myself to stop at the orchard next to the Campbell Seventh-day Adventist Church.  I just love this unique place.  It's hard to believe that it still hasn't been developed into a new condos.  


Felt warm in the sun.  Set up my equipment, looked through the chicken wire fences, and started with a small sketch on a pad, then on my regular Fabriano Artistico 140 lb Cold Press watercolor paper.  I decided to "relocate" the truck for a new layout.

During the painting, a truck stopped in front of my view.  A young guy started taking photos.  Being a Plein Air painter, you must make decisions quickly depending on the situation when unexpected things happen.  So I decided to let him know that he blocked what I was working on.

I guessed that he could not hear what said at a distance.  He kept shooting more images.  I was almost squirming, then he walked toward to me.  I showed him my half done painting, he was friendly and introduced himself, and told me that he would move his truck very soon after his photos were done.  Also he left me his phone number and wanted me to send a photo after my work was finished.  He said that he was renting there, and the owner might be interested in seeing the painting of his property.

Another truck stopped in front of the locked fence gate where I was painting, after the young guy moved his truck.  I apologized and immediately moved my workstation out of his way.  He opened the gate and drove his truck in, but didn't close the gate.

I really wanted to go in and get a closer at what I was working on, but I didn't.  (January 26 2022)


 


Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Plein Air @ Old Mission Adobe Wall Santa Clara de Asís CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Plein Air @ Downtown Campbell CA

Plein Air @ Joseph D. Grant Park, Mt. Hamilton CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Plein Air @ Chris' Farm in Campbell CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生