Alameda Plein Air Paint Out -17th Annual Event 2022


Thought I could check the painting location out, so talked to my host family about staying on Sunday night for an early start. First time in my life that I got a flat tire on my way up to Alameda. Lucky my husband was able to drive all they way and fix the tire before it turned 100 percent dark.


(The little nail ruined my tire when I just arrived S Shore Center)
Day one
It was my fourth time participating in the event. After registering, I got my watercolor papers stamped, then caught up with a couple of long-time-no-see artists and volunteers.


(First painting was done at the Grand Marina Boatyard)

Of course I always start painting at the Grand Marina. Because I've found many subjects that I could work on there. It was sprinkling rain, so I had to move my stuff during painting to a covered place at least six or seven times. People working there mostly were Mexican guys. They were listening to the radio playing happy Mexican songs while working. One even sang loudly along. Took me longer to get my first painting done because of the "rain logistics".

It is no wonder why I love Alameda, there are so many beautiful places, nice people, and historic venues.  They all inspire visual stories to share with people who care.


(Rain dropped on my painting "Working at the Boatyard")

Drove on Lincoln St and found a lovely corner restaurant to paint. Weather can't be predicted in Alameda. It was gray, then changed several times. Every time I put color on, seemed to go to the opposite, very difficult in watercolor which is not a very forgiving media. Well, I told myself, no matter what I was able to paint today, how grateful! I didn't even know if I could drive my own car after the flat tire got when I arrived yesterday.



("New Bamboo Kitchen" was done after summer rain)

One of my favorite figurative artists Nancy Crookston and her husband Garr hosted a big party celebrating the 17th year of the Alameda Paint Out for the participating artists and our host families. At least about 50 people, we had great time, not only ate and caught up, Nancy's amazing work gave us great inspiration!


Day Two

Still a little early in the morning, I woke up from the sun rise shining into my bedroom. and it seemed to be a lovely day. Checked out my surroundings, the beach house was nearby the Fruitvale Railway Bridge. Across the water, there was an old factory building with interesting architecture. It was a great subject to paint, but not today. Enjoyed a peaceful moment in my host family's lovely garden. As a plant lover, I instantly could tell that how much they loved gardening, and wanted to plant a luxurious nature preserve in their backyard with all kinds of plants. I started to count them, and quickly gave up...Suddenly, I remembered that our "Quickdraw" started in only ten minutes. I drove to the art center. It was closed, and read the notice sign, and rushed to the "Healing center".


"Flowers at the Market" was collected by a couple in Alameda)

Good to know that I was not the only one that missed the starting location for the "Quickdraw". I wanted to paint the farmer's market, and a couple of artists were there before me. I didn't even have time to choose. I saw the first flower vender, and knew it was my subject for the day. Three of artists including me decided to paint the same subject, I worked on watercolor, one worked in oil and the other one worked in pastel.
  
Many people went to the farmer's market, and gave us some compliments. The oil painter guy Kristian Matthews was super-patient with the curious people and answered all kinds of questions, including those of a lady that spent at least an hour chatting about his work. I thought that she'd better buy his work. Ended up, his work was sold, but I wasn't sure if the buyer was her or not.


(My "Quickdraw" painting at the "Healing Center")

After a couple of hours for lunch and catching up with some artists during the "Quickdraw" exhibition,  met some new artists from different states. I moved on to paint Encinal Yacht Club Pacific Marina Alameda. There were kids and parents in and out of the swimming pool that caught my eye, especially the angle from the above patio perspective. I decided to design my painting creatively instead of painting just what I saw.


(The swimming pool at Encinal Yacht Club)

It was a challenging one. I got nice feedback from a wonderful watercolorist David Savellano at the dinner party Paul and Kittie hosted. It was a wonderful party. Kittie's pies of fruits were so delicious. Got home, Susan was taking care of her plants, and invited me for a happy hour drink.  We chatted about an hour, they looked tired.  I guessed that they had been get up earlier preparing food for the event.  How nice to have such a host family, beautiful place to stay, and all the thoughtful volunteers surrounding us while we were painting!


Day Three

Got up, opened the door of the bedroom patio, and started sketching the building across the water in front of the boat house where I was staying. Saw a few morning people already kayaking or some other water sports out on the water.


(Painting was done on the deck of the boathouse of my host family)

Soon, it was getting hot and I had to move to the shade to paint. It was a beautiful and peaceful morning. Only the water movement made some rhythm, while egrets and seagulls tried to get what they wanted. Cars crossed the bridge in the distance. Finished the painting, and Gorge my host, came and gave me some compliments. I was happy that he liked my work.


(Very happy that George and Susan collected this piece)

In the afternoon I went to paint the Alameda Theater. It was not my desire to do so, but it is just a subject one must do. Many artists painted the same thing already. Then I thought mine probably was a "tchotchke" painting, lol...


Kristian Matthews was painting the street scene there too, he worked on a larger one. I checked it out, looked great, hope he wins some award.


How forgetful, we went to dinner and and I just remembered that I didn't invite my host family. Eating and talking with other artists, volunteers and host families was fun. Tried to catch sunset to paint, but sun was almost set when I got there.

Day Four

Woke up when sun just started shining into my bedroom, I felt I had a mission to paint the Lincoln Market. Got there and set up. A dog never stopped barking. I said to myself that I would get used to it. It was a busy corner, many cars and people passing by.


A lady speaking British English talked to me, I invited her to our upcoming exhibition on Saturday. A guy told me from his car window that he helped with setup for our annual event each year. I said to him that all our artists thank him. He was happy and drove away.


("Historic Lincoln Market" was collected by the owner's daughter.  Her friend came to the event helping to get this painting. )

A younger lady opened her car window and asked me if I was painting the Market. Then she said she was very appreciative of what I was doing. Because she grew up as a little girl next to the store, there were so many fond memories there. Then I added a mother and a little girl into my painting.

Later an aged lady with a cane walking by told me that she didn't have a car and just had hip surgery done. She shopped at the store almost every day to buy her food. Then I added an older lady with a cane crossing the street into the painting.

Spent almost four hours to finish this painting of Lincoln Market.

I went back to the boat house earlier, and wanted to say thanks to my hosts Susan and George, but they were not there. Went to Bettie's house for a quick chat next door. Because of her, I was able to stay at a such a beautiful place and she had invited me to stop by several times. She was warm and friendly, though I felt bad that I interrupted her lunch. Her daughter was stopping by. She showed her lovely sweet home and interesting collections, including one of my first sold Plein Air boat painting at the Alameda Plein Air event in 2018. I would love to paint her backyard next time.  She is one fo volunteers for Alameda Plein Air event for years!


(Bettie is in her backyard)

I decided to drive home in the afternoon to avoid rush hour traffic and during day light time. Because of the patched tire, I only could drive 50 miles per hour. After a much longer time, I arrived home safe and prepared to frame my work.

Day Five
Framing

Framing paintings is not my favorite thing to do, especially for watercolor. First, watercolor painting needs to be protected from fading. I had to put each of my finished works outdoors, spray them with four Coats of Spray Varnish using UV Archival Varnish, and to wait to dry in between of each time. Then made sure each painting was flat enough, because professional watercolor paper is 100 percent made of cotton, after painted with watercolor media, it could be wobbly.  Then each of them needs a matt, backboard and glass. Frame needs to be wired behind with "D ring" for hanging the painting. Then there can be extra repeat work if any tiny visible dust gets in between the painting and glass, or marks were on the glass inside. I had to check each one constantly. Even I have more than 15 years of framing experience, still a couple of them I had to re-open and re-frame again. Then title and label each of work. Almost a whole day I was occupied by the framing job, beside did a week's laundry.

Day Six
Exhibition and Selling
It was just past 9 am we arrived at the South Shore Shopping Center in Alameda, many artists' booths were already set up for the show. My husband and I started to hang my work. Luckily David Savellano came to demo us again how to hang the paintings. He and his wife Karen are volunteers for the event each year, and we were all appreciate it what they have done.




                                      

                                      

Quickly we display my work on the panels, people started to come. Our judge was Phillippe Gandiol painted with us at last year's event. Cleo Vilett helped him to view each one's work.

                                     
( Genie Scott is the one of the original co-organizer of the Alameda Plein Air event)

                                     
(Margaret Fago is the organizer of the event, Philippe Gandiol is the judge )

                                     
(Mr.Fago is our photographer suggested me not wearing my hat for his photo shooting)


(Chris is one the volumeters busy at the exhibit )

Nancy Crookston with her son and granddaughter came to see our exhibition too.  Very nice to see her and I loved her down to earth personality, even though she is a masterful painter.


(Nancy Crookston, one of my favorite figurative artists)

40 artists and our work made such a great exhibition, Finally I got to see other artists' work painted during the week. A lot of to learn from others for sure. I thanked all the volunteers who had been around for years and some new ones. One of the long time organizer Genie Scott came, I really appreciate her long-time contributions, organizing and supporting all the artists for 17 years.


(Martha Diaz, we have a Plein Air group show together last month)

Not sure why people, especially artists in the area always thought I was Laura Xu. Maybe because we are Chinese, and have our name with "X", and we both live in South Bay area. We shared a wall for our booths. And I told her that one of her works would win an award, She didn't believe me. Ended up, I was right!


(Laura''s landscape painting won an award as I predicted)



(Some of the award winners, But the painting of Kristian's I predicated didn't win. I encourage him to send that piece to a museum.)




(Barbara Tapp won her deserved prices, having fun selfie with her)


(David Smith's awarded watercolor piece)

One of the other artists painted the same Alameda Theater in watercolor too but use a brighter color pallet. We were chatting near her work, when one lady passed by and wanted buy her Alameda painting and returned the ticket she was holding in her hand. I noticed that the label she was holding was for my painting and told her she could return it to me. I told her that I would love to take it back after she looked so embarrassed. No trouble at all! Later I sold that one to someone else. Seven of work were displayed at my booth in the event exhibition, there were only two paintings left at the end.  I am very happy for Marti Walker who sold seven of her work,  Number 1 seller for sure!


(Marti sold 7 of her work.)

Gratefully, one of my favorite paintings was collected by my host family. George was eighty-eight years old, he came and bought it. My husband and I delivered the painting to their beautiful house after our exhibit over. We walked, chatted, had dinner together at a local restaurant, had a wonderful evening together.








Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Downtown Campbell Light Rail Station CA

Capitola Plein Air 8th Annual Art Festival 2023