Storyteller visual artist🎨original art paintings in Oil and Watercolors ♦️ art lover collective ♦️Plein Air ♦️prints/ship worldwide since 2010 @ https://about.me/xuelingzou
Portrait study in oil of a Female live model
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
One 3-hour session portrait study in oil. Our new model was Polish, She told us that she looked like her Russian grandmother. Working on a used 12"x16" panel. The 1st picture was taken outdoors. I continued to use duotone for the portrait, and my first time to feel happy for the result surprisingly. (April 12 2022)
Dream in the Night — Interpreted by Xu YuanChong Abed, I see a silvery light, I wonder if it's frost aground. Looking up, I find the moon bright; Bowing, in homesickness I'm drowned. 静夜思 — 李白 床前明月光, 疑是地上霜。 举头望明月, 低头思故乡。 (Please click the image to enlarge) This poem written by Li Bai (701 – 762) who was a major Chinese poet of the Tang dynasty poetry period - China's "golden age" of classical Chinese poetry ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Bai ). It was one of the first classical poems I was taught before my primary school. Of course, I would not know the meaning at that young age. The older I get and the farther I live from home, the deeper I feel this poem, which is more often appearing in my head. Hiding my tears used to be part my character. But now, I can no longer control it behind my eyes whenever I think of it... Another Mid-Autumn Festival is coming again, which is a popular lunar harvest festival celebrated by Chinese...
Colorful La Boca grew to become an Italian (mostly from Genoa) district of Buenos Aires, Argentina in a very short time in mid-19th-century. It used to be the area where Italian immigrants arrived, and settled in the poorest of conditions. Their houses were built by the leftover corrugated iron and other waste found in the nearby harbour and industry on the Riachuelo river. In order to make the neighbourhood more interesting, they decided to paint their houses in bright colors by using the leftover paint from boats - hence the many different colours that can be seen. Where first a small river flowed, the area that now is Caminito had tracks installed, and when those were not used anymore, this developed into an ugly, abandoned part of La Boca. There were several museums with paintings portraying its hard-working inhabitants in the shipyards and on the docks. Local artist Quinquela Martín painted the walls of the street, which now we know as Caminito (which means little path in Spanish)...
This original watercolor painting was inspired by Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man and The Sea. It is one of my favorite watercolors, and a great gift for Father's Day. (Please click the image to enlarge) I read this book in Chinese a long time ago, then I read it again in English when I was studying in Australia. Back to my overseas studying time, I had to take the ferries from the place I lived to school each day for a while. Not mention the terrible home sick I had, the ending of relationship with my first boy-friend, when I struggled with every single little detail in life. But nothing could stop my love of the ocean and I enjoyed taking ferries on beautiful and stormy days. Watching the sun-rising or sun-setting, sailing by the magnificent city landscape and the awesome boats out on the sea, I promised myself that I knew I would overcome the difficulties... Years later, I started painting watercolors after moving to Bay Area in California, and the first one in m...
Struggling through the whole weekend, finally I finished Petko's portrait based on the only one picture I have ever seen of his - his FAA avatar. I hope it could express my thanks to Petko who had made an eight minutes and fifteen seconds long animated slide show with a beautiful music of my oil paintings on Youtube. After I did a search, and I had found out that I was only the one of one hundred eighteen FAA members Petko made such a wonderful work for! Being an artist, I really admire his great work through his FAA online gallery! His painting style is bold and energetic, really represents his passion and devotion to art and to other artists. Now, I feel that I have discovered his incredible soul is much bigger than ordinary artists. I do need some more English language to help express my respect, my honor and my great thanks to him!! Please visit my online gallery at: http://xueling-zou.artistwebsites.com/ Here is the animated slide show Petko Pemaro made for my o...
BEAUTIFUL BLACK WOMAN - By Vernon J. Davis Jr. Author of " Love Is The Beautiful Black Woman" Beautiful black woman, Your beauty is surpassed by none. Beautiful black woman, Your sensuous splendor is like the shining sun Your wondrous ways come from your soul Which no one man may hope to control Beautiful black woman, You are the guiding hope of our people Beautiful black woman, your mind maintains your glorious power. Beautiful black woman, Your spirit is like a shining church tower which points the way to heaven above and which seeks to find true love. Beautiful black woman, you are the guiding hope of our people. Beautiful Black woman, Your time is like a precious commodity. Beautiful Black Woman, Your ebony will is strong and free, so take your precious time, and your determined will, and use them both to emphasize what you really feel. Beautiful black woman, you are the guiding hope of our people. Beautiful black woman, In you lies our future! Please view my portrait g...
“There's nothing sweeter than a real friend: Not only is he prompt to lend— An angler delicate, he fishes The very deepest of your wishes, And spares your modesty the task His friendly aid to ask. A dream, a shadow, wakes his fear, When pointing at the object dear.” ― Jean de La Fontaine, Fables I believe that most of us have good friends from time to time. Lucky ones have life time friends. After growing up, it seems that is not very easy sitting down, having a cup of tea or coffee, chatting together... I want to continue creating my Girlfriends' Teatime series, to express how much I miss them in my life, and wish our tea time could last as long as our friendship without any worries... Share some beautiful quotes about Friendship here. "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." – Marcel Proust “Words are easy, like the wind; Faithful friends are hard to find.” ― William Shake...
Artistic depictions of butterflies have been used in many cultures including Egyptian hieroglyphs 3500 years ago. The ancient Greek word for "butterfly" is ψυχή (psȳchē), which primarily means "soul" or "mind". The Russian word for "butterfly", бабочка (bábochka), also means "bow tie". It is a diminutive of "baba" or "babka" (= "woman, grandmother, cake"), whence also "babushka" = "grandmother". (Research from Google, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly ) (Please click the image to enlarge) In our Chinese culture , two butterflies flying together symbolize love. Also, Butterfly Lovers is a famous Chinese folktale. In some old cultures, butterflies also symbolize rebirth after being inside a cocoon for a period of time. My birthday again, and I would love to share my butterfly story and captures with viewers, also I feel reborn as well:)! When we were kids, of cou...
Raining, windy and cold. Came to draw and paint at one of my favorites places - Pillar Point inside the car. Felt little bit crazy about myself or should be mad at the weather, though, lol...
Just realized that I hadn't gone out painting for a week this morning - too much figurative study in studio. Also my annual allergies have started acting up again. Didn't go too far. I found this greenhouse tent a long time ago and today I got to paint it. After my stuff was set up, I saw two older ladies walking toward me, and the language they were speaking sounded like Russian. I said "Hello" and asked them if they were Russian. They responded that yes they were. Their faces were so interesting, instantly I thought they both could be our portrait models. I dug out my business card and passed it to one of the ladies, and told them that we could pay them if they wanted to be our models. I didn't really understand what she said, but she mentioned her daughter and her hands gestured throwing the business card away. Hahaha, I hope she does contact me and they can be models for us. I really only mean to paint their portraits. (February 18 2022)
Thought to do something different, Apple Park was a good place for sketching and not far from where I live. and some of our local artists were meeting up there today. Sun came out this morning after weeks of rain. I was not well prepared for it. Found my pencils, sketch book, eraser and outdoor chair in a rush. Felt I should have more hands to carry each of them, why didn't I grab a bag and have everything in it? Warm in the sun, but not in the shade. There were many young olive trees, I guessed that they were the same age as the Apple Headquarters. Tried one sketch that had architecture, and one very stylish artist I drew her into my work. Then I started to draw other artists. Walked through the Apple park's "mirage" sculpture takes shape as iridescent glass pillars winding through trees. Chatted with several artists to catchup, left after in the afternoon. (January 25 2024)