Plein Air @ Nearby Sunnyvale station, CA


We had a couple days of rain which is not good for Plein Air. But I definitely appreciate the rain because of the shortage of water in California. The rain stopped and the clouds were very beautiful. I drove to the Sunnyvale train station, and could not find a suitable place to paint a landscape with the clouds and some building. Suddenly, I saw a water tower with interesting buildings surrounding it. Parked my car, it looked like a big factory. The water tower against the clouds looked very interesting. Set up my station and started drawing. A black security guy came to me asked what I was doing. I told him that I wanted to paint the water tower. etc. He asked me to move, because I was on the private property. I moved my station to the public walkway. Overheard him reporting back to his team that I was drawing the tower. Guessed it was OK after he left.



Several workers were on their lunch break, they came by and gave me some compliment on my work. I was curious to see their name badges showed "Northrop Grumman Marine Systems". Of course I had no clue what it meant, only tried to remember it for where I was painting. Because of the clouds, it took me much longer to paint. It was about 1:30pm, many people seemed like going home for the weekend. Those guys gave the compliments before were happy to see my nearly finished painting. One guy even offered me his left over chicken for my lunch. I believed that I might have looked a starving tired person. Wished them enjoy their weekend before they left. On my way leaving the factory, I realized how big it was, about one square mile....
(April 22 2022)

Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Downtown Campbell Light Rail Station CA

Capitola Plein Air 8th Annual Art Festival 2023