Plein Air @ Almaden Valley San Jose CA 加州風景寫生


It was not a hot day with a light breeze. Went to Almaden Valley again. Last time I was lost and ended up finding a new place to paint. Arrived at the location and there was no parking left. Waited for a while, parked out next to the narrow road. I could never dress up to be an artist and do my work, especially outdoors. Actually, better to be a camel when doing Plein Air. There was no restroom at this location, had to be prepared. Then I started dragging my painting stuff to where I wanted to paint. Maybe about 15 minute walk when hiking, but I had to carry my tripod and Plein Air umbrella. Inside my rolling bag, was a Strada easel, which it was heavy by itself already; my color palette, a handful of brushes and two spray bottles inside the easel. Plus two bottles of water, one for painting, one for myself. a folding board for painting with several Fabriano Artistico 140lb cold press watercolor paper. a pencil bag which is full of pencils, some paint tubes, and small stuff for watercolors, two water containers for washing brushes; a small sketch book; view finder; extra hat; now I bring a small bottle of pepper spray, in case "the Asian Haters", etc... There was only one road full of rocks and dusty, because it is the dry season. Quickly I found out the wheels of my rolling bag were too small to work on the road, I had to hand carry it on my never recovered well "frozen shoulders". Half of my energy was spent already. Until I found the old spot I painted at once. Then set up my whole work station off the road in the dry grass on an uneven hill. It took me much longer to set in a way at lease I could start my work. But the wind started to blow a little bit strong. The umbrella was attached to my tripod, so each strong wind could blow all my station down. So I had to use one of my foot to step on the tripod when the wind blew and keep on painting. I really love the angle, hopefully I could carry less and paint better at the same location next time. Got home, felt exhausted already.  (May 19 2021)



This one I painted  when I just started painting outdoors, August 2017.  Noticed I named the location incorrectly ;)…

Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Downtown Campbell Light Rail Station CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Capitola Plein Air 8th Annual Art Festival 2023