The Old Man and The Sea - Original Watercolor

This original watercolor painting was inspired by Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man and The Sea.  It is one of my favorite watercolors, and a great gift for Father's Day.

(Please click the image to enlarge)

I read this book in Chinese a long time ago, then I read it again in English when I was studying in Australia. Back to my overseas studying time, I had to take the ferries from the place I lived to school each day for a while. Not mention the terrible home sick I had, the ending of relationship with my first boy-friend, when I struggled with every single little detail in life. But nothing could stop my love of the ocean and I enjoyed taking ferries on beautiful and stormy days. Watching the sun-rising or sun-setting, sailing by the magnificent city landscape and the awesome boats out on the sea, I promised myself that I knew I would overcome the difficulties...

Years later, I started painting watercolors after moving to Bay Area in California, and the first one in my mind was how to paint The Old Man and the Sea... One Sunday morning, it had been raining for days, I finally got to create this painting on the kitchen counter at the old condo during winter of 2005. I think I document my life experience with painting rather than by writing in a diary. I may not to have good vocabulary to write, but I paint with my heart for understanding life.

The Old Man and the Sea is one of Hemingway's most enduring works. The story was told that an old Cuban fisherman, down on his luck, and his supreme ordeal -- a relentless, agonizing battle with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream. My English was still so limited when I read it, but it was in language of great simplicity and power, in strikingly contemporary style, the classic theme of courage in the face of defeat, of personal triumph won from loss.


Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Six hours study with the same sitter

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Chris' Farm in Campbell CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Elim Assembly of God Church Santa Clara CA 加州風景寫生