Pleinair @ near St. Clare Parish Santa Clara CA


I thought I wanted to paint the church. Then I changed my mind after I saw the light and shadows on this building were so interesting.


Found a shady spot under a tree off the street, set up my workstation, and spent a little bit more time sketching out the details. Wish I was an architect, could get all the perspective correct in the first pass but it took a little longer.

A college boy walking by said "good morning" and startled me because I was so focused on my work. He was very polite though and apologized.

Later when I was almost done the painting, a lady passing by and said "so beautiful" and scared me again. I guess I haven't been out in the public painting enough lately. She apologized too, and I told her no need to worry and we chatted a bit. She had an Australian Shepherd dog with the most beautiful eyes. She told me that her dog was super-smart and sweet.

It was a nice day to enjoy the breeze and get out into the fall air.

(September 27 2023)

Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Capitola Plein Air 8th Annual Art Festival 2023

Plein Air @ Chris' Farm in Campbell CA 加州風景寫生