The first live model studies after holidays



I really needed a break from online social media, including my blog.  I didn't do much during the holiday season, besides seeing museums based in Los Angeles in Southern California.  It was called our "vacation" before the Christmas in 2022, since we didn't travel like most of people in past three plus years, only went to Boise last summer to meet my brother-in-law there.  

Weather was warmer than our location in the Bay Area, especially during the day time.  The food was delicious, traffic was as expected.  

The most exciting part of our trip was seeing about hundred of dolphins swimming and jumping around the boat when we were on the way to the Channel Island National Park.  But the hiking was super-challenging, we could not reach Pelican Beach in time.

Getty Villa and Getty Center were both must-see museums with enormous collections.  Norton Simon is always one of my favorites.  Saw the special exhibition of "Picasso Ingres - Face to Face" there.


There was a small great exhibition of living legend Fernando Botero at Museum of Latin American Art (MOLAA).  Actually I saw many of his works while travelling in Mexico.  We were amazed at what a great talent he is after viewing his movie at the museum.  


La Brea Tar Pits and Museum was interesting.  We saw Mastodon and Saber tooth cats that got trapped in the tar fifty thousand years ago.


Surprised that I saw Jeff Bezos when we walked toward each other in the Peterson Automotive Museum.  He was nice and polite, nodded his head and smiled, I did the same in return.  We also saw a scale mockup of Tesla car that was sent into space and a model of the Hyperloop Pod (for transport from San Francisco to LA).  Elon Musk always has some great new idea to surprise you.  And we saw the Tesla truck was been used already.


Los Angeles County Museum of Art was under construction  so we didn't visit.  I cannot wait until it  reopens in 2025.  We did get to see the Broad Museum which has an amazing selection of modern art including a Yaoyoi Kusama installation.


Passing cliffs above the Pacific Ocean in Rancho Palos Verdes, there was a glass church called Wayfarers Chapel was attracted our attention, stopped by and found out the architect was frank Lloyd Wright's son Lloyd Wright. Very peaceful and it was to see.


I have not made any new resolutions for the year of 2023 so far.  There is a terrible situation of COVID that's attacking almost everyone in my birth city of Beijing now.  Most of my family members, my friends got it, so did my aging mother.  I cannot visit her right now. Even if I could get a Chinese visa, and super-expensive Airline ticket, I wouldn't be able to help my brother told me.  Because no one expected such a strong surge after the government relaxed their policy, hospitals are overloaded...  Hope it will be getting better ASAP.

The only way I can forget the situation is by focusing painting. So I went to the studio.

Our model in the afternoon was a beautiful African Irish mixed young lady.  I enjoyed painting her portrait during the 3-hour session for her long pose.  I was pretty happy with the result, though I thought I wasn't emotionally or mentally ready to start working.


When was my last short pose live model drawing?   Checked my blog and found out that it was on November 15 2022.  I really struggled with the short poses of her in the evening, the same model in the afternoon while drawing, could not finish each short pose in an hour.  Finally I got a little better after we started drawing the ten minutes pose.  Everyone probably has their new year resolutions done.  I should have mine, but one thing for sure is I at least need to keep painting and drawing.   (January 3 2023)


Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Six hours study with the same sitter

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Chris' Farm in Campbell CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Elim Assembly of God Church Santa Clara CA 加州風景寫生