Expect the unexpected in the Studio


Same painting: left indoor and right outdoor.

In the early afternoon when we were waiting for our model to arrive at the studio, several artists chatted together. I told them that I would love to have a regular person be our model rather than a professional one, I could feel a more personal message from the face expression, and therefore more interesting to paint for a portrait. One or two agreed with me.

Then we got our model's message that she just had a car accident,  wasn't able to be here. Hope she was OK. One of the artists volunteered to be our long pose model, so we started painting.

Not sure if I should have said what I did about painting regular people, but this artist was a good model. She stayed still, and her face's expression really was more interesting to me. By using palette knife, I worked on a used panel 12"x16". Everything worked out smoothly, and First time I was done when the time was up.


Being a visual artist working in the studio or outdoors, just like others, you may discovery or create things expected or unexpected.

During an hour and half break, had dinner snack with an artist friend. She shared with me her garden tomato, it was very delicious.


We had double models in the evening. Not enough time for drawing, double models were super challenging.  Each line was done in hurry, and no time to think at all.  At the same time I think I like it.  One or two artists thought my drawings were improved.  (October 25 2022)

Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Chris' Farm in Campbell CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Home on a Rainy Day CA