Plein Air @ Alpine Pond Skyline Ridge San Mateo County CA


I was a little bit behind the schedule this morning, rushed out of the door, drove up the winding road to the location. It was quite windy and cold, my first time painting there, only hiked nearby once years ago.  I set up my stuff and painted behind the trees and shrubs, thought they could help me to block the  wind.  Not! I had to hold my easel with one hand while painting.  There were many small branches and leaves that dropped onto my painting.  How could I not check the weather?  I didn't stop when my painting looked good enough, but kept adding more dark colors.  It was just practicing I told myself.  Then, I couldn't find the parking lot, because I was focused on my painting, I totally forgot how to get back.  Lucky there was another artist who stopped her sketching and walked me half way.  We had a nice conversation chatting about Chinese New Year.  I kept walking, suddenly saw her sketching again... I realized that I forgot the road she showed me, and walked almost in another circle.  Did not want to interrupt her, also felt embarrassed to bother her again. Quietly rolled my painting stuff back to the road.  Tried two different directions to find the parking lot. LOL... 
On the way back I drove on the winding road, I had no clue why,  but I suddenly stopped the car, suddenly several branches dropped and broke  two feet in front of the car.  Felt quite lucky on the second of Chinese New Year day.  (February 2 2022)


Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Downtown Campbell Light Rail Station CA

Capitola Plein Air 8th Annual Art Festival 2023