Plein Air @ Chinatown San Francisco CA

There were twenty Chinese artists painting San Francisco Chinatown today, though it was Sunday just after Thanksgiving. 

Felt excited to accept the invitation. Drove about hundred miles back forth to Chinatown wasn't a big deal for me.  But it was extremely challenging to find a parking spot.  I knew there were a couple of garages for parking, but it can be difficult for me to find my car afterwards.  Chinatown is not big, but I caught every single traffic light before each turn, had to wait super patiently for the crowds to cross the streets on this Sunday morning.  


Finally, I parked my car on one street nearby a Chinese grocery store.  The sign confused me as to whether I could park there or not.  I guessed that was why no one was parked there.  There was an older Chinese guy parking his car behind me.  He looked like a local person and answered my question "It is Sunday, you can park here!"


Our organizer told us to start painting about 10:30 AM. It was almost 11 AM.  I dragged my stuff walking on Clay St, passing by a couple of artists who were started a long way ahead of me.  Found a street scene that inspired me, I thought I was well protected from the sun and passing by tourist because I set up my workstation halfway in an alcove of a front door to a small apartment building, about 10 mailboxes only.  Who knew later during my three hours of painting, there were about at least ten people in and out.  This was Chinatown I reminded myself...



Might be lunchtime, more people and cars in the streets.  Some people passing by complimented my work, others asked for directions, even for restaurant recommendations.  I laughed inside as I can count on my hands the number of times I'd been here in the past 20 years and I was always rushing in and out.  Today  was my first time painting here.  At the same time I felt happy, because they knew I was one of Chinese people here they could trust and could hopefully answer their questions.


Got chance to meet more Chinese artists at Chinatown Restaurant, which was one of the sponsors of the event and provided many delicious food dishes.  The restaurant owner and a couple important people from the Chinese Society gave us speeches.  Some part of the history I didn't know before was very inspiring... They, I mean we Chinese feel proud of Chinatown, one of places we could share our culture, history, food etc, with world.  We all turned in our artworks to support and rebuild the community's confidence through COID-19 and encourage health, love success and prosperity in the coming years.  (November 28 2121)



Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Downtown Campbell Light Rail Station CA

Capitola Plein Air 8th Annual Art Festival 2023