Plein Air @ Franklin Mall Santa Clara CA



After my work was done, I looked at it and was not sure which way looks better, full size horizontal or cropped vertical.  Can I have you consultation please? Thanks in advance!

This morning I set my mind to painting an umbrella or umbrellas as my subject.  Saw a couple of spots where Mexican farmers were selling fruits on the street earlier but didn't see any this time.  Sunlight changes so fast, so I quickly changed direction to Franklin Square where I painted few times last year, and remembered a couple of potential subjects for Plein Air.  I spotted umbrellas across the street and set up my painting station in front of Mio Vicino Italian Restaurant, a popular one in Bay Area.  Of course, we ate there several times, no doubt that their food is delicious.  Didn't have time to make a small sketch.  It was getting busier as noon approached, and street parking filled up too. Luckily at this point that my nose is blocked by allergies, so I couldn't smell the yummy food.  Otherwise I would have had a tough time  concentrating.  I loved all the lavenders growing and blooming on both sides of the street.  Imagined how fragrant it could be. Painted them into my work as a suggested object.  (April 30 2021)


Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Downtown Campbell Light Rail Station CA

Capitola Plein Air 8th Annual Art Festival 2023