Plein Air @ A Community Water Lily Pond Cupertino CA 加州風景寫生


Checked the weather report, it was going to be very windy every place I wanted to go. Went to a community Garden and painted these beautiful water Lilies inspired by Cloud Monet on such a lovely day. Good timing, the wind started getting stronger before I finished my painting. There were many activities surrounding this small pond. A lady told me that there were two turtles in it while she walked her dog passing by. Fish occasionally jumped out of water while I was looking at the water lilies. And ducks and geese landed and swam around. Dragon flies and other insects, squirrels, hummingbirds and other kinds of birds. I was happy with the result I got using high contrast and certain areas used wet into wet techniques on this painting. My watercolor palette is quite limited, I use mostly only a few colors. I like to buy unique colors, though I have very little chance to use them. Lucky, I brought some of them today, used Cobalt Violet for the base of water lily flowers, and Turquoise, both are Winsor & Newton Professional watercolor; and American Journey Artists' Watercolor Joe's Blue (Phthalo). Both blue/green colors for plants and the water. And of course my favorite Fabriano Artistico 140p cold press watercolor paper.  (May 18 2021)

Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Six hours study with the same sitter

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Chris' Farm in Campbell CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Elim Assembly of God Church Santa Clara CA 加州風景寫生