Plein Air @ Alviso San Jose CA 加州風景寫生


Which painting do you like? #1 today's or #3 spring time? Second time painting the same subject, last time I did it in the afternoon. Today it was hot, I was well prepared and painted on the side walk path under trees. I didn't plan to paint the car, the composition I don't usually set up in the very middle. I remembered that one of my paintings sold to a shop owner nearby, his wife told me that my painting was all about his life, shop, boat and car... I thought I had to add the car into my painting, because that the story behind the subject was drawing me back again. Light and shadows were very different than when I painted here last spring, but much quieter, maybe due to the pandemic. The fence next to me was somebody's backyard where a guy was working inside, and I could hear his young age daughter calling him a couple times. He listened to the radio the song was "Hotel California", it really helped me got into the feeling to paint! Living in California about twenty years so far since moving to America, this is one of my favorite places to visit and paint. Driving or walking nearby, some old songs could suddenly popup inside my head, though I don't know them well. I don't know much about the history behind them either, but all the old houses and surrounding subjects like fisherman's boats, etc. could bring me the unique feeling about the people who used to live or are still living here. Slowly, I've settled down in Bay area California.  (Sept. 28 2020)


 

Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Elim Assembly of God Church Santa Clara CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Home on a Rainy Day CA