All Freedom Should Start with Practice

"Learning to walk sets you free. Learning to dance gives you the greatest freedom of all, to express with your whole self the person you are." - Melissa Hayden


Lucky me that I can walk, the artistic vision and the rich imagination I have had set my thoughts free. I never had learned to be a ballerina, though it was one of the many dreams of mine. I do not think that I could stand the physical challenge of a dancer, but I do enjoy watching and appreciate deeply every single movement all the dancers make.

Ballet really has become one of my most favorite subjects to paint, it has come into my dreams countless times as I am one of those dancing on the stage, and also in ancient Rome I was dancing ballet in the middle of the Colosseum! It might have made me wonder if there was a certain kind of soul that haunted me deeply inside, and this transformed into a vision I saw through my mind's eye.

Reading all the novels, stories, and watching all the movies, TV series, we all know that the most beautiful performance on the stage could never be accomplished overnight. Each dancer has to go through millions of repetitions at the barre, challenge their body's limitations through each single day's exhausting exercise, sweat, pain, and even injuries, all to prepare for an opportunity to dance on a stage, not mention to be prima ballerina... Maybe that is one of reasons that dancers have the shortest career. A great performance could bring incredible joy and memories, touching millions of people' hearts, that is the power of art!

This painting is of a single young dancer practicing at a barre, maybe on one of those thousand unnoticeable days, maybe it was an exciting moment before performing on the stage . It employs the impressionist style and spare composition to express the grace of the subject and her hard work towards her dream...

Please view my Impressionism Figure or Animal Composition Art Oil Painting Gallery at: https://xueling-zou.pixels.com/galleries.html

Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Six hours study with the same sitter

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Plein Air @ Chris' Farm in Campbell CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Elim Assembly of God Church Santa Clara CA 加州風景寫生