Dreaming Girls

Not sure who said, “Dreams are like the paints of a great artist. Your dreams are your paints, the world is your canvas. Believing, is the brush that converts your dreams into a masterpiece of reality.”


"Dreaming Girls" is a very special painting to us. I created it in 2007 from one of the 10 photos my husband took during his business trip in Brasil.

Also, I was called a "Dreamer" by my girl friends since I was very young. I did enjoy dreaming all the possibilities I could have after I grew up. Though life has taught me to be more grounded since I left my home country, but dreaming helps me overcome many kinds of tough situations, and makes me believe tomorrow is going to be better! So I decided to paint it as a square canvas positioned diagonally to effect a diamond shape to remember who I was back then.

In 2009, I had a solo opportunity to display my paintings in a very famous multi-national company in Silicon Valley where I live since 2000. There were maybe over 20 pieces displayed, including "Dreaming Girls". As I expected there were certain amount of responses from the people working as technology professionals. But, at the same time, we were too excited to plan our 3-weeks-trip to Argentina. After the trip, we fell in love with the culture and people, keep going to travel in South (Central) America.

At the end of last year 2011, I joined the Google+, it allowed me to add all my contacts into my circle. So, I keep maintaining all my friends by posting the art work I create, or sending the stories I write. On January 6, 2012, I received an email from someone who had read my postings on Google+. It was from a lady who told me that she saw my "Dreaming Girls" at the company she works, and fell in love with it years ago, but felt she couldn't buy it as she was going through a personal tough time. She said in her email "I have thought about that painting from time to time but had forgotten your name to try to get in touch with you. All of a sudden I get this Google+ email notification from you and the name rang a bell - I'm so excited to have found you!"

It is very important for an artist finding a good home for the art we created! After she came to my home studio, I felt like we were old friends for a long time already. She told me she had been to both Africa and South America and also loved the cultures, and that is why the painting has special meaning for her too. Now, I am so happy for my "Dreaming Girls" has moved into a new loving home:-)!
http://xueling-zou.artistwebsites.com/featured/2-dreaming-girls-xueling-zou.html

Original Art Story

A female model's first sitting

Plein Air @ Santa Clara University Santa Clara CA

Six hours study with the same sitter

Sketching @ Apple Park Cupertino CA

Portrait and figurative studies of a model

Plein Air @ Mission San José Fremont CA 加州風景寫生

Plein Air @ Elim Assembly of God Church Santa Clara CA 加州風景寫生

Live study of a young model in a red dress

Plein Air @ Ed Levin County Park, Milpitas CA

Capitola Plein Air 8th Annual Art Festival 2023